Friday, October 15, 2010

Forgotten Amusement

     Jim sat down on the couch, put his feet up on the coffee table, and pulled out the morning paper. His wife Clair sat next to him and sipped her coffee, not saying anything. A sour look crossed her face as she frowned. A considerable time past as Jim read the morning paper.
    "So did you hear about the break and enter last night?" Jim asked his wife in an attempt to break the agonizing silence.
    "No" she sniffed in remark.
    With a great sigh he replied "I take it that you are still mad at me then?"  
    Followed by another sniff as she looked the other way she smirked "No, why would I be?"
    "Look," exclaimed Jim "I said I was sorry."
    "You forgot our anniversary!" bellowed Clair as she turned to look at him with fiery eyes.
    "I know" mumbled Jim into his hands, "I know." With hands collapsing to his knees he exclaimed "you know how things have been with work lately. I've just been swamped." With his wife still glaring at him he blurted "why did it have to be on a Thursday?"
    "How could you forget!"
    "I...I said I was sorry," Jim exclaimed, "I promise to make it up to you. This weekend I promise to take you out to dinner...just the two of us...at...at the Le Chateau Fleur De Restaurant!"
     Rolling her eyes Clair mocked " Oh really?"
     "Yes!, Yes!, I'll get on the phone and book a reservation right away" Jim declared, as he got up and rushed through the door and into the kitchen. Leaving a still disgruntled Clair to sip her coffee alone on the couch.From the kitchen came the rasp of the telephone book being flipped through and numbers on the telephone being punched. "Yes hello" Jim's voice echoed from the other room,"I would like to make a reservation for two for tonight please." A short pause followed before Jim replied "Seven O'clock would be just perfect! Thank you!" A huge sigh then followed from the kitchen. He walked back into the living room with an uncertain look on his face not knowing to smile or grimace. Clair sat there looking at him with one eyebrow raised as if to signal something to him.
     "You haven't forgotten anything else have you?"
     "Um...Oh! John, yeah I'll phone his grandmother and see if she can look after him tonight." Jim reassured himself. Jim then went back to the kitchen and made another phone call. He came and sat himself back down onto the couch beside his wife.
     "Everything is set then?" questioned Clair.
     "Yes of course!" Jim hastily replied. Clair gave him an amused smile as she got up and left the room. Jim sat on the couch and let out another sigh of relief as he rubbed his  forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment