Friday, September 10, 2010

Better than a Can of WD-40

     For a considerable time I have been unrecognized as just another person who's grandmother considers is "a handsome young man." To the contrary, when I was a young boy, I was left unattended in my father's shop full of tools and machines, and my fascination took ahold of me. I couldn't help but to satisfy the compulsion to just start digging through all of the fascinating and obscure looking tools and what they might possibly be for. I recalled my father taking apart his complicated looking machines and fixing them using the various tools I now had at hand. Once again compulsion took over me and I couldn't help but to just start using tools where ever they fit on my dad's shiny dirt bike that appeared to be made of yet more fascinating components.Soon enough parts and pieces and nuts and bolts were being stripped off this once vibrant sleek orange bike, now reduced to a bare frame and wheels, as the motor was strewn about the shop benches and counters, in pieces everywhere. Just as I was about to take out the last remaining bolt, my heart dropped, I heard my dad's footsteps go crunch, crunch on the gravel driveway. This is when I learned my true talent and identity as Mr. Fix It. Within seconds parts and pieces, nuts and bolts starting flying back together to the harmonious tune of wrenches and sockets and screw drivers being torqued and pulled upon. Just as my dad opened the door and stepped back into the shop, I had finished threading in the last bolt to the gas tank of the once again completed vibrant orange bike. None the less I was blamed for the fact that tools were now spread and emptied out of his toolbox and I was covered in oil, but he never suspected the reason why his dirt bike ran so much better. I continued with my mechanical endeavours since then, rebuilding and fixing cars and making other small engine repairs. So if there is a time perhaps when you are broken down and stuck on the side of the road, or if you are embarrassed by the poorly operating and usualy unreliable used car that your parents bought you because it was cheap, do not fear. I am here, and can help you, unless it's a Dodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment